In this section
Towns + Villages
- Cruden Bay
- St Cyrus
- Accommodation in Aberdeen & Aberdeenshire
- Getting Here
- Getting Around
- Tour Guides & Guided Tours
- Suggested Itineraries
- Suggested Maps
- Touring Routes and Trails
- Deals & Offers
- Equipment Hire
- Shopping & Souvenirs
Kintore dates back to the 12th century when its first Royal Charter was granted. The town has clearly been a popular settlement since prehistoric times. Recent archaeological excavations show Neolithic remains dating as far back as far as 5,000 years BC.
The name Kintore comes from the Gaelic, Ceann-an-torr. "Ceann" means the head, or the end, and "Torr" which means a hill. So the name signifies that the town was at the head or end of a hill.
At the heart of Kintore is the the magnificent granite Town House. Completed in 1747, it features a double staircase to the council chamber.
The sight-seeing highlights include Kinkell Church, Balbithan House, Boat of Kintore, Tuach Hill, Hallforest Castle, Turnpike Roads, the Canal and Railway.
For more information on Kintore, please click here.
Kintore Town Hall
Kintore is approximately a 25 minute drive north-west from Aberdeen, when heading via A96.