Visit the seat of one of medieval and Renaissance Scotland’s most powerful families. Heraldic sculpture and inscribed stone friezes were fitting for the home of the earls of Huntly, now a noble ruin.
Please note there is currently no access to the top of the tower.
We recommend booking in advance to guarantee entry.
- Enjoy the castle’s majestic location just outside Huntly, a pretty market town, where the rivers Bogie and Deveron meet
- Admire the South Front, given a striking, French-inspired makeover by the 1st Marquis around 1602
- See a heraldic ‘frontispiece’ so stunning it has no rival in the British Isles – also added by the 1st Marquis around 1602
- Tour the palace interiors to see treasures like the heraldic fireplaces in the lodgings of the marquis and marchioness
- Take a fun fact-finding quiz (also in Doric)
Events and Activities at Huntly Castle:
Easter Eggsplorer Trails
07 - 10 April 2023
Get ready for a historic Easter trail through some of our most iconic sites including castles, abbeys and forts! Work out who has been stealing all the Easter Eggs- your suspects are Ruth the Cat, Grace the Falcon, Dougie the Dog and Wilfred the Wolf. Hunt down all of our Easter egg pictures at the site, each with a letter, and use the letters to spell out who the sneaky culprit is. If you correctly solve the challenge, a chocolate treat awaits!
Drop-in event. Entry is in included in admission. For more information call 0131 668 8885 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Holding the Castle for the King
08 - 09 July 2023
Meet the soldiers holding Huntly for the King. See the weapons and clothes of 17th century soldiers garrisoning the castle. Learn about the history of Huntly Castle and the role of the Gordons in serving the Stewart kings of Scotland over the centuries. Hear from Royalist and Covenanting soldiers who will talk and demonstrate the use of cannon, musket, pike and sword.
Entry is in included in admission, 12pm-4pm. For more information call 0131 668 8885 or email email@example.com