Rattray Head Lighthouse
The lighthouse was established in 1895 off the Aberdeenshire coast just 10 miles north of Fraserburgh and engineered by David Alan Stevenson. Rattray Head Lighthouse is a listed building of Architectural and Historical interest. The lower section of the lighthouse is 46 feet high and built from 20,000 cubic feet of dressed granite blocks which were most quarried at Rubislaw.
During World War II in September 1941 an enemy plane circled the lighthouse and dropped three bombs. The lantern was even machine-gunned but surprisingly this didn’t seriously impair the efficiency of the lighthouse nor was anyone injured during the attack.