Built in 1538, probably on the site of an earlier church, Kinkell Church was abandoned as a place of worship in 1771.
The church is dedicated to St Michael, and is thought to have been built by Alexander Galloway, Parson of Kinkell, who was also responsible for building the Bridge of Dee in Aberdeen.
Rectangular in plan, built of grey rubble, much of the north and west walls survive. An unusual sacrament house, bearing the date 1524 and the initials and coat of arms of Alexander Galloway, can be seen on the inner face of the north wall, surrounded by other carved stone panels.
A monument to Gilbert de Greenlaw, decorated with a knight effigy but reused as a grave marker for the Forbes family in 1592, stands inside the church.