St Mary's Church, Cowie
The ruined St Mary's Church, also known as Cowie Chapel, stands on a cliff top overlooking Stonehaven Bay.
Originally dedicated to St Nechtan (St Nathalan), it was re-dedicated to St Mary of the Storms in 1276 AD. It was built in the 13th Century AD, and was renovated and enlarged in the 16th Century.
The east gable survives to roof height and includes three narrow lancet windows. The south wall, rebuilt in the 19th Century, contains a late medieval doorway. Although much of the north wall has been removed, an aumbry can still be seen. An arched vault at the west end built in 1842, now grass covered, was used as a mort house.
The church went out of use in the 1560s.
Limited parking available, not suitable for coaches / buses