Remarkable for its splendid architecture, Huntly Castle served as a baronial residence for five centuries.
Its many impressive features include a fine heraldic sculpture and inscribed stone friezes. The earliest stronghold on the site sheltered Robert the Bruce in the 14th century.
- The location – majestically sited at the confluence of the rivers Bogie and Deveron, on the outskirts of the pretty market town of Huntly.
- The South Front – a striking ‘makeover’ carried out for the 1st Marquis around 1602, strikingly French in character and topped by a great inscription.
- The heraldic ‘frontispiece’ – also contributed by the 1st Marquis around 1602, and without parallel in the British Isles.
- The palace interiors – including two impressive heraldic fireplaces in the Marchioness’s lodging.